Children’s mental health hospital must take immediate action to improve
A Care Quality Commission inspection has found that Watcombe Hall hospital in Torquay is inadequate, and it has been placed into special measures.
The inspection of the children’s mental health service run by Huntercombe (Granby One) Limited identified a number of areas where it must take immediate action, including:
- It must deploy sufficient, appropriately trained and competent staff for the safe management of the unit.
- It must ensure that staff undertake sufficient observations of the young people to ensure they are not left unattended.
- The provider must ensure that the ward environment is safe. This included improving the psychiatric intensive care unit fence, external doors and access to upstairs bedrooms.
- The service must ensure that the young people in its care have regular access to fresh air and exercise.
- The service must ensure that all young people receive timely appropriate care and treatment including for their physical health needs.
- The provider must send a daily update of any incidents and to provide assurance that all staff had completed appropriate induction and training.